Autumn, we love you sunny, warm and colourful. We love also autumn flavours – pumpkin, apples, pears. But above all, we love to adapt our favourite edible rose to the season’s gifts of nature for a balanced, yet diverse seasonal eating. So here we are today, sharing a fine flavour combo where the autumn taste of pears melts in with the reminiscing spring taste of roses, skilfully preserved in jars in Rosey’s Mark rose jams.
Deriving from the traditional cake base that is often baked in almost every Bulgarian kitchen, this cake is easy to prepare and with most ingredients constantly available at home. The recipe twist, however, is very important as it turns an ordinary cake into a special one. So go find that jar of rose jam before you put on your apron. And here’s the recipe…
PEAR CAKE WITH ROSE JAM:
125 g soft butter
125 g brown sugar
125 g yogurt
200 g wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
the peel of 1 lemon
¼ tablespoon salt
- Beat the soft butter and sugar into smooth cream.
- Add the eggs one by one till absorbed.
- Add half of the yogurt.
- Mix the salt and the baking powder into the flour and add half of it into the sugar-butter-egg mixture.
- Add the other half of the yogurt and stir again.
- Finally, add the rest of the flour, vanilla and lemon peel and stir again till homogeneous.
- Peal the pears and remove seeds and stalks. Cut every pear into six slices.
- In a big pan, melt 50 g of butter and add the rose jam and pear slices till pears are caramelized.
- Get a big baking ring, cover the bottom with baking paper and butter the sides.
- Arrange evenly the pears and pour the cake mixture on top.
- Bake for about 40 minutes in preheated oven at 160°С with fan.
- When ready, turn the cake around on a big serving plate while still hot. Decorate with dried rose petals.